Hollywood, CA — Actor Christopher Walken held a press conference for reporters today at his home in Wilton, Connecticut to reveal that he was in fact the one behind the Banksy arrest hoax that fooled the internet on Friday. The hoax was in the form of a press release reportedly stating that graffiti artist Banksy had been arrested by police in London and that his identity had been revealed. The press release was quickly discovered to be a hoax but not before the story had already been picked up by major news sources and had spread throughout popular social networking websites such as Twitter and Facebook.
“I just want to say, I’m sorry and I didn’t mean to ruin anyone’s day. I love Banksy. I actually have a few pieces of his artwork in my own private collection,” Walken told reporters. “The story I wrote… it was just for fun, just for a few laughs, and that’s all. That press release site, PRlog, they let you post anything you want, for free. I could write about your mom, having sexual intercourse, with multiple partners, for money. I could write about aliens, scary ones, possibly erotic ones. Anything you want to write about, and they will post it. From stories about jaguars lurking in the jungle at night to questionable boating mishaps, whatever, and they will post it.”
34-year-old Paul Horner from Phoenix, Arizona told reporters he did not appreciate Walken’s hoax. “The name of the person he used as Banksy’s true identity was Paul Horner. Well, that’s my name,” Horner said. “I must have gotten at least a hundred phone calls yesterday asking me if I was actually Banksy or if I was locked up in some jail in London,” Horner said. “I love Christopher Walken, but this time he’s just gone too far.”
Walken went on to tell reporters his favorite part of the hoax. “After my story went huge, all around the internet, I found some amusing things happening. The Business Insider actually made a phone call to London’s Metropolitan Police asking if Banksy was being held there in a jail cell. That made me laugh,” Walken said. “I’m still a little angry with PRlog. They deleted my story, after 50,000 people or so had viewed it. I tried asking them why, and then they deleted my account. That’s not a good way to do business if you were to ask me.”
Walken says he has no plans for any future press releases at this time but does admit he likes the idea of “fooling the internet” and might pursue it more often down the road.